No matter what anyone tells you, you know the truth – cars do have a soul! After all, you’ve seen it with yours time and time again. And it’s only fair to try and provide the best protection to your faithful companion.
Luckily, there are ways to protect your car and increase its life expectancy. Regular car maintenance is especially important, and it truly pays off – regardless of whether you’re keeping or selling the car. Always be aware of car depreciation – the difference between a car’s value when you buy it and when you come to sell it. The car’s depreciation rate is certainly affected by different weather conditions.
This article will focus on specific actions you can take to protect your car from damage caused by weather conditions, and hopefully provide some useful info.
Most Common Car Damage Caused By Weather Conditions
Different weather conditions, UV rays, exhaust contaminants, residue from winter roads, tree sap and bird droppings are the most common external factors that affect your car on a daily basis. They can cause scratches, dents, paint dullness or oxidation. During extreme weather conditions your car cannot come into the house with you and depends solely on the mercy of the Weather God(s).
Impact Of Low Temperatures On Your Car And How To Protect It
Winter is coming! Luckily we don’t have this type of extreme Weather in Adelaide! And your car can be affected by cold much faster than you, even if it is parked in the garage. Low temperatures affect vehicles negatively in many ways:
• Rubber components like wipers, vital belts and hoses around the engine deteriorate
• Fluids thicken (like oil, antifreeze, power steering, washer solvent, brake and transmission fluids)
Heaters delay engine warm-up, so the engine struggles
• Windshields are more vulnerable to damage
• Vehicle’s battery can give up
• Tyre pressure fluctuates
• Spark plug reliability weakens
• Heavy rain or hail may cause serious dents on your car’s external surface
• Metal parts (brakes, wheel wells) corrode more easily on the wet roads. Increased humidity, windy and rainy sites also contribute to the development of rust.
Simple steps you can take to prepare for winter conditions properly:
• Keep your vehicle preferably in a garage. If not, check your vehicle’s battery before the cold arrives. A typical battery is most comfortable between 15 and 35 C, anything below that may give you trouble.
• Check your vehicle’s tyre pressure – most tires lose 1 pound per square inch for every 3 C of temperature drop.
• Clean the windshield before turning on wipers, and replace blades bi-annually.
• Check your vehicle’s filters to prevent potential clogging.
Impact Of High Temperatures On Your Car And How To Protect It
Likewise, heat can also wreak havoc on your vehicle. Summer is the most-travelled season, but our cars are certainly not very enthusiastic about it! High temperatures take their toll on the car by weakening its following parts:
• Tyres – especially if not properly inflated
• Battery –its suspended plates become loose and rub against each other
• Coolant may leak, engine temperature rises
• A/C system – may weaken greatly and completely stop working
• The paint fades
The sun and heat can seriously damage your car. Here are a few simple tips on protecting your car from the heat:
• Park in the shade
• Install seat covers and have Interior Coatings installed to protect leather seats
• Keep your Car Clean & dry
• Ensure you have a professional installation of Ceramic Coating on your new car
• Check tyre pressure
• Check battery, cooling system and the rest of the fluids
YOUR NEW CAR NEEDS PAINT PROTECTION
Besides regular check up of engine, tyres, and mechanical; Paint Protection is a very important aspect of looking after your car. There are different types of car paint protection. Car waxing provides a protective layer to the paint, while paint sealants mimic the properties of car waxes. Sealants are longer lasting, but do not provide in-depth shine like wax does. A Professional Grade Ceramic Coating differs from both waxes and sealants. This is a unique hard wearing, ceramic clear coat which offers remarkable resistance to scratching and protects the surface from environmental factors. Your car will get a complete wash, polishing and will be coated with a special multi-layer system. After application your car will look like better than fresh from the factory.